- Working Families’ prestigious list of Top Employers for Working Families 2022 includes a wide range of organisations from across sectors, including major banks, a small charity, a local NHS Trust and the Welsh Parliament.
- Insight from our Benchmark survey of employers shows that the huge shift toward flexible working is here to stay, and that employers with strong cultures around flexible working have reaped significant benefits.
Working Families has announced its annual list of the top flexible and family-friendly employers in the UK. For the thirteenth year running, employers large and small from across the public, private, and third sectors have competed to gain a coveted place on the charity’s list of Top Employers for Working Families.
This year’s Top Ten Employers for Working Families – in alphabetical order – are:
- Crown Prosecution Service
- Grant Thornton
- Independent Living Fund Scotland
- NatWest Group
- NELFT (North East London NHS Foundation Trust)
- Pinsent Masons
- Welsh Parliament (Senedd Cymru)
- Yorkshire Building Society
Employers were assessed using Working Families’ Benchmark and were scored on four key areas to build a comprehensive picture of their flexible and family-friendly policies and practices that specifically support mothers, fathers, and carers. These are:
- integration to organisational strategy and culture – which looks at culture, attitude and how far flexible and family-friendly working practices have become embedded;
- policy – which looks at the creation, development and deployment of flexible and family-friendly working policies and their take-up;
- consistent practice – which considers how well flexible and family-friendly working is supported; and
- evidence and statistics – which looks at the effects of flexible and family-friendly working on the organisation, and their ability to understand those effects.
The Benchmark—which captured the experience of nearly 500,000 UK employees across the organisations that took part—is also used to examine trends in flexible and family-friendly policies and practices. Key findings from the 2022 survey include:
- Flexible working is here to stay: 86% of small organisations and 64% of large organisations surveyed report that at least three-quarters of their employees are currently working flexibly.
- Employers are reaping the benefits of the post-pandemic increase in flexible working, with nearly 2/3 of those surveyed reporting a reduction in business travel costs and over half reporting a reduction in real estate costs and an increase in productivity.
Jane van Zyl, CEO of Working Families, said:
“We are delighted to recognise the outstanding organisations that made our Top Employers for Working Families list this year. These employers excelled in our rigorous benchmarking process, proving they are leading the way in building family-friendly workplaces in the UK. The variety of sizes and sectors represented on this year’s list demonstrates that—with a commitment to best practice and an appetite to innovate—it is possible for any organisation to support their people through embedding flexible and family-friendly practices.”