Home Local News UNITED MASTERCLASS – Skelmersdale United 5-1 Vauxhall Motors

UNITED MASTERCLASS – Skelmersdale United 5-1 Vauxhall Motors

skem utd
Photo Elliott Southwell

219 hardy souls braved the wind and the cold as the remnants of Storm Arwen passed, what the supporters were treated to, was a heart-warming performance by Paul McNally’s League leaders.

Having gone Top of the table on Tuesday night, they were in no mood to surrender their lead and came out all guns blazing, Tom Croughan had a chance in the first minute but his shot went wide of the mark.

It didn’t take Skem long to find the back of the net, a telling through ball from Callum Lees into the box found Sam Sheen who had time to pick is spot to fire home for 1-0 after just 6 minutes.

The lead was doubled on 12 minutes, a flowing move from left to right, involving Griffiths, Nicholson, Sheen and Lees, his ball to the edge of the box found Kenny Strickland who rifled into the back of the net.

Tom Croughan’s found acres of space in the box, placing his shot out of reach of the keeper to make it 3 in less than 20 minutes.

Mikey Howard was terrorising the Vauxhall defence and had two efforts well saved by keeper O’Loughlin.

It was Howard who set up United’s fourth just before half time, breezing past the defenders, his pull back found Danny Mitchley in the 6 yd box who had all the time in the world to head home.

It had been a first half Masterclass from United.

Tom Croughan had an effort just wide of the post with Mitchley also going close as United looked to continue their dominance.

Vauxhall were awarded a dubious penalty on 55 minutes neatly dispatched by Leo Riley, it was the Motormen’s first effort on goal. Spurred on the visitors tested Ben Barnes who pulled off a smart save from Knapper.

United introduced three subs Towey, Servuts and Morris and all went close with efforts on goal. Servuts run into the box was brought to a halt as he was felled but the ref waved play on.

Just as United were running down the clock with some controlled possession, a mistake from O’Loughlin saw his pass find Danny Mitchley some 30 yds out, the experienced striker took one touch and lobbed the stranded keeper to make it 5 for United.

Manager McNally was delighted with his team’s performance “The first half we played some incredible football in difficult conditions, I would also like to thank the supporters yesterday who braved the elements, it was cold”.

United line up: Barnes, Lees, Griffiths, Grogan, Herbert, Strickland, Croughan, Sheen, Mitchley, Nicholson Howard. Subs: Towey, Servuts, Morris, Unused: Preston.

Previous articleAmbitious funding bid could revolutionise bus travel
Next articleCards for Kindness launches as Christmas countdown continues


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here