Home Local News United claim first points with win over City of Liverpool

United claim first points with win over City of Liverpool

skem utd football

Skelmersdale United claimed their first points of the season with a hard fought 2-1 win at City of Liverpool.

The home side containing 6 ex Blues piled on the early pressure and it was one of those, Louis Corrigan, who went the closest with a free kick that went just wide.

United thought they had taken the lead on 26 minutes a free kick swung over found Callum Lees the ball was bundled over the line, but the referee Mark Reeves had seen an infringement.

United were again on the back foot, keeper Andy Coughlin had to be at his best has he kept out an effort from John McGrath on the half hour and further efforts from Steele and Connor McCarthy were well kept out by some stubborn defending.

Elliott Morris had United’s best chance right on half time but his one on one with Harmer with his effort finding the side netting.

It was an entertaining first half with the Purps having much the better of the chances.

United started the second period in better fashion, Morris being denied by Harmer and Carl Clair catching the defence flat footed couldn’t see his effort converted, a Strickland free kick was headed just over from Mitchley.

As the game opened up United keeper Coughlin who had to make his second top class save of the night from a dipping shot from Burke.

City of Liverpool took the lead on the hour as Nathan Burke arrows one into the bottom left corner from outside the box.

Former “Blue” Pete Wylie upended Danny Mitchley just outside the box from the resulting free kick Strickland found Joe Herbert, who’s acrobatic overhead kick drew the sides level with just 14 minutes remaining.

With 10 minutes left a Sam Sheen cross was handled by Burke, up stepped Elliott Morris and sending the keeper the wrong way blasted Skem into the lead.

The Purps were throwing everything at Skem, James Edgar going close with a half volley, Connor McCarthy’s effort was well kept out by a resolute United defence as they held out for a well-deserved 3 points.

It had been an all-action encounter, if a somewhat bad-tempered evening.

Manager Paul McNally was delighted with his charges “It’s nice to get three points, especially coming here, they are a good side. It shows what kind of work we have to put in just to compete at this level.”

Skelmersdale United – Coughlin, Lees, Hont, Herbert, Contah, Strickland, Morris, Sheen, Mitchley, Clair, Josh Nicholson Subs Joe Nicholson, Brannigan. Unused – Jamie Nicholson Djalo, Dineley.

City of Liverpool – Hamer, Walls, Corrigan, Shaw, Wylie, Rule, Burke, Steel, Jones, McGrath, McCarthy. Subs Simpson, Edgar, Hughes, Allen.

United will again be at Burscough this week as they welcome Prescot Cables for a FA CUP Preliminary Round encounter, the game kicks off at 3pm, admission prices are £9, Conc £6.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here