Home Local News UNITED BOW OUT


skem united
Photo Courtesy Geoff Boden

Charnock Richard 2-1 Skelmersdale United

Macron Cup semi final

Mini Adegbenro shot from inside the box scurried past the far past post as the referee blew for the final time on United’s epic 2021-22 season as Skem bowed out of the Macron Cup Semi Final at the hands of a very good Charnock Richard side.

Paul McNally was downbeat at the final whistle “The season should have ended last week, when everyone was on a high, players and supporters alike, it’s a little flat after today, knowing that there is no games next week where we can put things right”.

It had all started off so well for McNally’s men as Mickey Howard swept home after a scramble in the box after just 40 seconds for his 33rd goal of the season. It could have been more moments later, great work from James Salkeld found Adegbenro in the crowded goalmouth his shot was cleared of the goal line as United threatened to run riot.

United were getting into threatening positions in the box but couldn’t find a way through the stubborn Charnock defence.

It took Until the 30th minute for Ben Barnes in the Skem goal see any real action as he tipped away a smartly taken shot from Brad Carsley and when Carsley headed over a few minutes later you could sense the tide was turning against Skem.

The second half was only a few minutes old when Barnes came to the rescue clearing of the line from Nickeas as Charnock piled on the pressure, they got their just rewards on 66 minutes when Nickeas sent an unstoppable shot past the stranded Barnes to draw level.

Skem responded with a Sam Sheen effort that was tipped over by Eastham the resulting corner saw a acrobatic shot from Croughan fly just over the bar.

Charnock went in front on 81 minutes, after a sweeping counter-attack, Howard’s shot was blocked and Young set Nickeas free and finely finishing to send the “Greens” fans into raptures.

United were not done, as the Referee announced 4 minutes of injury time Kenny Strickland rattled the bar, Mikey Howards header went agonisingly wide and Mike Simpson had a shot blocked then the final effort of the season as no one could get on to the end of Adegbenro’s shot across goal.

It was a game too far for United, after last week’s heroics they wilted in the May heat, whilst Charnock who had not played for 10 days grew into the game and finished the stronger, apart from the final frantic 4 minutes.

United supporters will look back on a season of success for Paul McNally and his team and there will no doubt be more to celebrate at the club’s end of season awards.

UNITED TEAM: Barnes, Griffiths, Lees, Grogan, Herbert, Strickland, Salkeld, Sheen, Adegbenro, Simpson, Howard. Subs: Morris, Croughan, Preston.

Previous articleDoctor Who Worlds of Wonder: Exciting new details announced
Next articleSkelmersdale Library events for week commencing 9th May 2022


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here