Parents, carers and residents are being asked for their views on a new 10-year draft plan for special educational needs schools in Wigan Borough.
Wigan Council has launched a consultation and is asking people to comment on the plan which will ensure the long-term need of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) are met.
The proposed approach will be phased over ten years and includes creating more school places and building new schools where current facilities are outdated and need investment.
Initial feedback, from informal consultation carried out last year, was very supportive of the outstanding special school provision already on offer in the borough and there was overwhelming support that schools be retained.
There is a need for additional provision across the borough but particularly in the Leigh area.
In parallel to this consultation the council is also considering other support and provision that is needed in the borough, for example resourced provision and our outreach support offer, and is working with schools and families to look at need and a suitable offer for the future.
Councillor Jenny Bullen, cabinet member for children and young people, said: “This is a long-term plan which will ensure pupils get the very best education from schools which are modern and have the most up-to-date facilities.
“In some cases we are proposing to build new schools where the existing buildings need significant investment which will mean fantastic new facilities for our young people.
“We are already so proud of the brilliant provision we have in place and are confident this investment will put us in a strong position to meet future demand so our children and young people get the best education and support.
“It is also important that we continue to look at SEND provision in our mainstream schools to ensure that it is well resourced and meets the needs of our children and young people.”
The proposals over a ten year period are:
- Hope School – proposal to build a new school on a new site at Montrose Avenue at Central Park.
- Rowan Tree Primary School – proposal to build a new school on the current or a new site in Leigh.
- Landgate School – proposal to build a new school on the current or new site. Minor improvement works to be carried out to the existing school.
- Willow Grove Primary School – proposal to build a new school on the current or a new site. The available land would allow us to build a new school whilst maintaining the provision in the current buildings.
- Oakfield High School – proposal to extend the school and carry out adjustments or provide off-site provision temporarily to meet high demand.
There are currently no proposals for Newbridge Learning Community School.
Have your say on the consultation before the closing date on Friday 1st March 2019.