A new fund, set up to help hospital staff in response to the Covid-19 pandemic has received a boost from a local rugby team.
Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Charity, ‘Three Wishes’ set up the ‘WWL Healthcare Heroes Fund’ for staff welfare following several enquiries from the local community asking how they could help. Donations to this fund will then go on to support Trust staff and their wellbeing throughout the pandemic and beyond.
Following the Covid-19 outbreak, Leigh Miners Rangers Rugby League Academy, along with the club’s Senior and Ladies/Girls sections, commissioned a training top which were provided to around 500 of their players from five-year-olds to adults with a design to celebrate and support the NHS.
And with donations from players and families, as well as each branch of the club, the sum of £2,000 was raised to be presented to the fund.
Mark Dyer, Club Co-Chairman, said: “Leigh Miners Rangers prides itself on being an organisation for the whole community.
“In these difficult times, everyone associated with the club felt it important to do something together to show our support for the hard working staff of our local NHS and to show our appreciation of the efforts which the staff are going to in supporting the community through this pandemic.”
Shirley Martland, WWL Finance Controller, said: “For a local team to think of our staff during such a difficult time, it just means so much to us and we would like to extend a big thank you to each and every member.
“The funds that the club has raised will certainly help towards our new Healthcare Heroes fund to support our staff wellbeing.”
Here’s how you can support the WWL Healthcare Heroes Fund:
For monetary donations:
- Text ‘WWLHEROES’ to 70480, donate £5 (Texts cost £5 plus one standard rate message)
- JustGiving – visit justgiving.com/campaign/wwlheroes to make a donation or set up your own fundraising page
- Card Payment – Call 01942 822325 / 01942 264390
- Cheque – made payable to Three Wishes Charity and write WWL Healthcare Heroes on the back of the cheque. Payable through general offices on any WWL site or post to General Office, Wigan Infirmary.
- Cash – payable into any general office at WWL sites (Please do not post cash or make a ‘non-essential’ visit to the hospital)
- For physical items:
- Email: Covidemail@example.com before making any donations and the Donations Team can advise. Even though we appreciate your generosity and it is greatly appreciated, please DO NOT donate until you have emailed the address above and heard from the Donations Team so we can manage effectively.