Home Local News Chorley calls on more support for businesses after tier three move

Chorley calls on more support for businesses after tier three move

0
support

Bosses at Chorley Council will be calling on the Government to provide more support for businesses after the borough was placed in the ‘very high’ tier three restrictions with the rest of Lancashire.

Lengthy discussions have been held over the last week to try and determine the future for Lancashire and get a support package in place for businesses who may be affected by any further restrictions.

It all came to a head on Friday morning with the Government forcing all of the county into the ‘very high’ level of restrictions.

Councillor Alistair Bradley, Leader of Chorley Council, said: “We didn’t want to go into the tier three level of restrictions because by and large people in the borough have been following the rules, businesses have been going to great lengths to keep their premises safe, and infection rates are lower than other parts of the North West.

“I’ve been calling on the Government all week to make sure the funding and support is in place for the local businesses being forced to close and those in the supply chain who will be equally affected.

“Like other leaders in the North West I don’t think the package is enough but I realise we can’t standalone as an island in the county because the infection rates are rising more quickly in other places so we’ve reluctantly accepted to move into tier three.”

The Government had threatened Chorley with much stricter closures if the borough didn’t sign up to the measures and leaders have been able to keep businesses such as leisure centres, gyms, hairdressers and barbers open for the foreseeable future.

The authority will use the funding it receives as part of the £30 million support package for Lancashire to get help to businesses as quickly as it can.

“As we always do in Chorley we will look after our businesses and my message to them is not to panic,” said Councillor Bradley.

“We will be looking to support those businesses who are forced to close or rely on the businesses that have been forced to shut and those who will suffer as a result of the additional restrictions.

“I expect the government to stump up more money in the coming weeks – and we will continue to push for this – because I think we can all see the government is trying to do this on the cheap and we won’t accept that here in the North West.

“I’d urge everyone to remember the basics and wash your hands regularly, where a face mask where required and keep your distance from others – it needs us to all come together if we are to get through the next few weeks and months.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here